Monday 23 September 2013

Will he be my friend: Pooja

“May I speak with Pooja” it was Saturday noon, some unknown international number flashed and voice on other side of my phone was taking permissions from me. As if I am class teacher of 5th standard kid- “Yes you can come in classroom and don’t be late from next time.” So I got back to my normal self saying “Ya speaking, who’s this?”. Please tell me if he is calling me on my land-line number or my office phone, I hope he knows concept of mobile phones. Wait on gal, he’s trying to be chivalrous again. Okay. Good for you, more to go.

I know Gautum is calling as time was fixed. But I tried to be extra smart to let him introduce himself.  "Its Gautam. We had an appointment to speak over phone regarding our matrimonial proposal. Did I disturb you?" pat comes the reply. (did he sensed that I was sleeping and is least interested in pursuing, good for him :) )

“No problem, we can talk” I replied. So I dozed off some 30 minutes back thinking would just wake up on the stipulated time. But as usual I was sleeping and this rare-to-find polite Indian-American guy has woken me up from my weekend slumber.

Anyhow I was waiting if he’d say something. As there was an awkward pause. I was just going to open my mouth then comes question on my well-being and how was my week.We exchanged replies on same. I gauged there is not much talking expected from his side. So I started with some small talks to make him at ease.

Honestly I haven’t gone through his bio-data in detail. Just happen to know that he has done his masters from States and working somewhere, don’t know that as well.

Doesn't matter, I’ll ask him now. I am sure he must have zeroed in on my profile. Boys I tell you. After exchange of our education background, I wanted to make one thing very clear to this Indian-American guy “I want to make one thing very much clear before we start anything- I am bit Hindustani at heart, I love my desh. Won’t be able to settle outside my country. I want to take this talk further only if that works with you” I can not imagine myself living in a country where my family ain't there. Very firmly I make across my point. To which he replied in affirmation and how past few years have been difficult for him as well.

Then the usual discussion started on likes/ dislikes. He likes hindi movies, works for me as well.  
He is a Gym freak, to which he was giving me some gyan on a training session he is undergoing these days. I was sounding interesting but I wasn't at all. One reason was his voice was not at all clear, whenever he used to say would come to my ears in a bit heavy voice with overlapped sound waves. Then after enough chit chat with him, I asked if he has any questions to ask. He replied “there isn't anything specifically he wants to know” “Oh Come on, I am not the first girl you are talking to for marriage alliance” I jibed. He got serious with this “I don’t talk to girls like this every other day as well”. “No no I agree but just happen to know if you want to know something specific”. he declined. And I liked it. As I thought he comes with an open mind and broad thinking, probably. To continue with discussion I thought of taking a small HR interview. “Where do you see yourself after 5 years or 10 years of life, don't get me wrong or think if I am taking a recruitment interview. But just wanted to know what people in your field do” Basically I wanted to see his outlook towards life and his ambitions. He said a very structured answer to this, only that much I was able to gather. I popped up again “Do you want to be an entrepreneur or you want to open up your company after some point of time” I have faced this ambition off lately by most of the guys in recent matrimony proposals. But he was not one of them, he was different. Though his voice and thus answer wasn't clear to me, all I could understand was he wants a stable life for his family. But I being devil, I countered him “So you don’t believe in taking risks?” This was also answered well, though the answer wasn't much clear to me.

Then over the discussion I got to know that he works at Silicon valley. That’s quite an achievement for engineers of our country, I guess. As far as I happen to know this field. So I congratulated him if his dream was achieved appropriately.

On and off some discussion happened around the above said points only. Then he said he needs to rush home as it was late in night in California. I laughed off and bid him good bye. Phone line was disconnected. And I was like “Holy-shit He’s a nice guy and I like him I think”

Later, mom took a feedback on this guy “Ya he is good, I mean initially all look same” But still beta how is he like. “Ya he is very simple, what will I do with him I don’t know”. Simple guys are good to be husbands. “But I am not only looking for a husband but my very good friend first”. Oh he will be. “No he wont because we are very different”.

No comments:

Post a Comment